My Experience and Background
I was born and raised in New Westminster and then moved with my family to Maple Ridge in 1973. We quickly became part of the community and that fall I started at the Liquor Store where I worked for 34 years. I am constantly reminded of the quality of life a person can enjoy when you can live, work, play and raise a family within this community. I am always looking for opportunities to create local employment so others can enjoy that synergy.
My wife Diane and I have raised two children in this community, Rory and Adlayna. Diane is a retired RN and a wonderful artist. She is involved with the arts community as President of the Garibaldi Arts Club and both of us have been part of the Arts Studio Tour. I believe that the arts reflect the health of a community and in my opinion this community is very healthy.
I have many passions including, photography, art, music, local food, wine knowledge and am an avid gardener.
Current Volunteer Involvement:
3.5 years on the Alouette River Management Society board
3 years on the MR Tourism Task Force
I am also very proud to have lent my time and passion to a number of volunteer positions in the past including:
5 years as chair of the Maple Ridge committee for B.C.’s Children’s Hospital. Our signature event was the Teddy Bear Tea and Clinic
6 years as a director of the Ridge Meadows Recycling Society
4 years as a directors for the C.E.E.D. center as vice-chair
13 years as a member of Compassionate Friends a self-help group for bereaved parents, the last 6 as leader.
3 years on the Community Heritage Commission, 2 as chair.
3 years on the Haney Farmers Market board as vice-chair
2 years on MR Agricultural Committee as HFM liaison
“I’ve learned that a group of citizens working together for a common cause can create an incredibly positive effect. If the arts and recreation reflect the health of a community volunteerism reflects the heart and in my experience this community has a very large healthy heart.”
Born in New Westminster, moved to Maple Ridge in 1973
Graduated from New Westminster Secondary
- 1970-73 Forming machine operator at Dominion Glass Burnaby
- 1973-2007 Liquor Distribution Branch-retired
- Top level product knowledge course, organized many wine tastings
- Fork and Stem Consulting – wine consultant, cooking and wine classes
- Volunteer in every municipal, Provincial and Federal election for past 40 years
- Mayoral candidate 1996
- Maple Ridge Councillor from 1999 –2011, 4 consecutive terms
- Federal candidate 2011
- Organizer for the Sensible BC campaign
- Maple Ridge Councillor 2014 – 2018 - 5th term
Other positions held:
- Director with the Lower Mainland Local Government Association
- Committee member with the Metro Utilities Committee
- Director with the Municipal Insurance Association
- Director with the Pitt Meadows Airport Society
- Director with the Federation of Canadian Municipalities a national organization that influences federal municipal policy.